Saturday, July 27, 2013

Master Bedroom Redo - DIY Fabric Headboard



This was my project a few weekends ago! It really was a simple as it looks and I am loving the results!!

As I mentioned before I was inspired by Young House Love's new book.  I highly recommend you check out YHL's book! It is filled with creative and fun ideas on how to decorate your house on a budget. A great resource for a frugal DIYer like myself! 


We needed a frame long enough for our giant king size bed so we bought some 8ft 1x2's and got to work. It was so simple a few cuts, screws and presto a frame!



With some pretty cute kiddos included! 
My hubby helped me get the frame put together and then I stapled on the batting and fabric.






Then we hung it above the bed with wall mount screws.






I love how it turned out! It really draws your eye to the back wall and makes the room look bigger.




Next on the list was buying a white comforter!
 After looking around we found a perfect white down comforter at Target that fit our style and budget!
I was surprised we found one for less then $50. Everything I had seen was $80 and up for a king.
Our requirements (or mine I should say!) were it had to be white, have some texture, and fit the bed correctly. Our last down comforter shrunk on us and hardly covered our giant king bed. Lastly, the hubby asked that it not be heavy. He is the hot natured one and since this summer pregnancy I had to agree.




Pretty isn't it? Well, we LOVE it! It makes me actually WANT to make the bed every morning! haha
After I make the bed I stand back and enjoy it for a second....yep hubby thinks that is a bit weird too!

We will be adding throw pillows and a bed skirt to finish the bed. Hopefully soon-ish, we will see. This pregnancy has really zapped my energy level.
So there is the update on our Master Bedroom.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you! We are loving how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me how many yards of fabric you used please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 2 1/2 yards and had a little extra. I would measure your bed or frame, then get a little more fabric to make sure you have enough to go around the batting and staple it to the frame. The amount of fabric will be different based on the size of bed you have and the size of frame you choose to make. Hope that works for you!
      ~Briana

      Delete
  3. Awesome idea! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Could you tell me where you got that fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it Mandi! I bought the fabric at JoAnn's in the outdoor fabric section. They put their outdoor fabric on sale for 50% off every few weeks. That's how I bought it and saved around $20! ;)

      Delete
  5. What are the measurements of the frame for the "headboard"? I will have to get the pieces cut for me at home depot or lowes when I go to purchase. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bed is a king so I just measured the bed and added some inches to the length. Since I wanted it to be slightly longer then the bed, it came out to be roughly 28.5 x 79 inches. Of course, you can make yours as wide or long as you wish, this worked for us.

      Delete
  6. I am eager to make this but just wondering how comfortable it is when you prop your head and pillows up against it. Does it cave in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently, it does cave in. I have am planning on sliding a cheap board between the fabric and the frame. I will write an update post when I get to that project. ;) I know you can buy the thin plywood board (not sure of actual name) for minimal cost. Also to make it more sturdy you can add additional braces. For comfort, you could use thicker batting then is shown here.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...